Effective brushing and flossing are two critical habits for dental health. But at Hales Parker Dentistry in Ladera Ranch, we remind our patients there are many more things we can all do to preserve a healthy smile.
One of the best things you can do is watch what you eat. Some tips:
- Do eat a nutritious diet with a variety of foods. This is required for overall physical health and a strong immune system.
- Do consume calcium-rich dairy products like milk, cheese, and yogurt to neutralize acids that are dangerous to enamel.
- Don’t eat sugary foods. Sugar generates the production of harmful cavity-causing acids that weaken enamel and lead to tooth decay.
- Don’t snack throughout the day. This revs up plaque production and subjects the teeth to continual contact with acids.
- Don’t chew on ice. (It can chip teeth.)
- Don’t drink energy drinks. They have many substances that are dangerous to teeth.
Other Important Tips
- Don’t use your teeth as tools. It is better to cut that knotted shoelace than to gnaw at it to try to untangle it.
- Don’t get piercings in or around your mouth.
- Don’t ignore tooth pain or sensitivity.
- If you have children, ask us about water fluoridation. If your municipal water supply is not fluoridated, you may want to give your little one fluoride supplements.
- Don’t use a medium or hard bristle toothbrush. It can damage gums.
- If you have an eating disorder, seek professional help straightaway. Bulimia and anorexia are extremely damaging to teeth, not to mention the toll they take on the heart and other organs.
We encourage all of our Ladera Ranch-area patients to maintain a lifestyle that encourages dental health as well as physical health.
Contact Hales Parker Dentistry:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):