Periodontal disease, also called gum disease, is inflammation or infection of the gums. For the most part, periodontal disease is preventable. It is also treatable, at Hales Parker Dentistry in Ladera Ranch.
Gum disease is so pervasive in the US that it has been called a health crisis by the American Dental Association.
- If left untreated, it can cause irreversible damage such as tooth loss.
- Practicing daily dental hygiene and having 6-month dental exams are the best way to prevent periodontal disease.
- Periodontal disease can occur without the presence of decay.
- Almost half of all 30+ adults in the US have periodontal disease.
- In some cases, periodontal disease generates no noticeable symptoms.
Risk factors for periodontal disease include tobacco use, poor oral hygiene (especially failing to floss), genetics, teeth grinding, inflammatory conditions, and poor nutrition.
Gum disease may be one of the best examples of prevention being the best medicine. With regular brushing and flossing, and checkups at Hales Parker Dentistry in Ladera Ranch, you can prevent gum disease. People from Mission Viejo, Las Sorres, and San Juan Capistrano also come to our practice for complete general and family dentistry. Call to schedule an appointment with us today!
Contact Hales Parker Dentistry:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):